ISHPEMING, Mich. (WZMQ) – At approximately 11:45 pm on July 3, the Ishpeming Fire Department was dispatched to a brush fire at 1203 N. Second Street in the City of Ishpeming.
Upon arrival at the scene, fire crews found the rear of a single story garage that was also on fire. The fire started on the rear corner of the garage, and quickly spread inside and across the rear.
Firefighters extinguished the fire around 12:09 a.m., and stayed on the scene for 30 minutes to check for any hot spots and ensure there was no more spreading of the fire.
According to the Ishpeming Police Department, a bonfire and fireworks may have been contributing factors to the fire.
The building was unoccupied at the time of the fire, and there were no civilian or firefighter injuries. The garage is considered a total loss.
The Ishpeming Fire Department was assisted at the scene by Ishpeming Police Department, Ishpeming Township Fire Department, Marquette County Central Dispatch, and UPPCO.