MANISTIQUE, Mich. (WZMQ) — Neighbors rescued a man who suffered serious burn injuries from a fire at a home in Manistique overnight, according to the city’s department of public safety.
The fire was reported in the 200 block of Range St. around 1:46 a.m. Sunday.
Public safety officers arrived to find the back of the residence was fully engulfed in fire.
They also learned the resident suffered serious burn injuries, and neighbors rescued him from the home, the public safety department reported. He was taken to Schoolcraft Memorial Hospital for treatment.
Firefighters had to work to keep it from spreading to neighboring homes, which were located close together. Single-digit temperatures also posed a challenged for staff and equipment.
A wood stove being used in the back of the residence is believed to be the cause of the fire, public safety officials said.
No firefighters were injured.