WELLS TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WZMQ) – Escanaba Department of Public Safety crews put out a grass fire they say was caused by a homeowner’s debris burn that was unattended.
Public safety got the call around 4:30 p.m. about a fire at 4808 Danforth Rd. in Wells Township that has extended into a nearby wooded area.
Crews spent about an hour and a half putting out the fire. Wind and dry conditions played a role in how long it took to extinguish.
An investigation led officers to an unattended debris burn that the homeowner didn’t know had rekindled.
Escanaba Public Safety said homeowners should check online for rules and regulations for burning outdoors.
Escanaba Public Safety was assisted Escanaba Township Volunteer Fire Department and Delta County Central Dispatch.