The Portage Lake Lift Bridge between Houghton and Hancock will see additional closures, so Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) contractors can continue their work, the department announced Thursday.
- The inside northbound and southbound lanes on the bridge will be closed Wednesday night, April 20, into Thursday morning, April 21, and again Thursday night, April 21, into Friday morning, April 22.
- After 10 p.m., there will be a series of 10-minute full closures of the bridge.
- Between 12:15 and 5:15 a.m. there will be one to two 25-minute full traffic closures.
- Traffic will be allowed to clear between the full closures.
- The bridge lane closures will be removed by 5:15 a.m. each morning.
Vehicles, bicyclists and pedestrians can expect delays.
The closures will allow crews to remove the old lower buffers and lift motors, which is part of an ongoing repair project.
The work is weather dependent.
If all the necessary work is done the first night, the second night of closures will be eliminated.