Demonstration Blocks Traffic, D.C. Area Church Vandalized Following Supreme Court Abortion Decision

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Following the Supreme Court decision overturning Roe v. Wade, which legalized abortions in every state, protests continued in Washington D.C. Since that decision was released, there have been reports of vandalism at a nearby church and pregnancy center and one demonstration blocked traffic for more than 24 hours.  

Monday morning, crews at the St. John Neumann Catholic Community Church in Reston, VA, which is outside of Washington, D.C., started power washing their walls. Fairfax County Police said over the weekend they found graffiti spray painted on the building. They said the remarks spray painted were related to the recent supreme court Roe v. Wade ruling. The words “this won’t stop” looks like it has since been removed from the sign next to the road, as well what looks like some foul language on the walls has also been removed. There were reports that the words “separation of church and state” was also sprayed on the walls. But that’s not all. A fire was set on the grounds and investigators said they found an ‘accelerant’ likely used in the fire.  

Over in Lynchburg, Virginia, police are investigating vandalism at a pregnancy center that discourages women from having an abortion. The words “if abortion ain’t safe, you ain’t safe” were written on a walkway leading up to the center. The vandalism at the pregnancy center caught the attention of Virginia Governor Glenn Youngkin (R- VA). In a social media post, he said in part: “There is no room for this in Virginia, breaking the law is unacceptable. This is not how we find common ground.”  

The Supreme Court ruling sparked protests across the nation, including this protest by one man that caused a bridge to close down.  

“I’m here to call everybody into the streets, non violently to shut down the government until abortion rights are protected,” said Guido Reichstadter in a social media post.  

Reichstadter, an abortion rights activist, climbed the Frederick Douglass Memorial bridge in D.C. He stayed up there for more than 24 hours, which prevented traffic from crossing. He has since climbed down and was arrested for unlawful entry, crowding, obstructing and failure to obey. The bridge has since been reopened. 

“I’m a father, I’ve got a 12-year old daughter, and I’m willing to do anything it takes to fight for her rights,” said Reichstadter in a social media post.